Termites are a homeowner’s nightmare. Once a termite infestation develops in a house, the only safe way to get rid of it and protect the home is by using house fumigation services. But the problem doesn’t end with termite removal. After the infestation is over, what about the damage that has been done? That can be a huge and expensive fix.
These numbers are frightening, but often relating to such massive expenses is difficult for an individual. To get a better idea of what termite damage repair can cost a homeowner in this
country,a look at the average cost per home is useful.
The Damage to Your Wallet
The average cost of domestic termite damage repair in the U.S. is $3,000. In some cases, the cost could be much higher. The extent of the damage to be repaired will depend on the size of
the termite infestation and how long it was present before house fumigation services were called in to deal with the problem. Each case is different but here is a general itemized list of
termite damage repair costs, broken up into cosmetic damage and structural damage.
- Cosmetic Damage: This is usually a much easier fix, both in terms of effort and cost.
- Floor Discoloration:Between $1 to $3 per square foot
- Wall Discoloration: Between $2 to $ 6 per square foot
- Chipped Paint: Between $5 to $25 per square foot
- Buckled Flooring: Between $5 to $25 per square foot
- Structural Damage: Not only is this much more expensive, but it is also not a DIY project like some cosmetic issues may be. Any termite damage that affects the structural integrity of the house must be repaired only by qualified professionals.
- Rotted Beam Replacement: Between $150 to $3000 per beam
- Drywall Repair: Between $50 to $75 per hole
- Replacing Wood Sidings: Between $50 to $100 per square foot
- Additional Costs:
- Hiring a structural engineer to evaluate the damage and advise on repairs will cost well over $500.
- Vents and ducts can collect mold and mildew which will attract termites. After the damage is repaired, it is important to have these cleaned to reduce the risk of future infestations. The average cost of vent and duct cleaning is between $300 to $600.
Prevention Is Best
Using a professional termite control company to do a real estate termite inspection and taking steps to remove any infestations that may be found is far more economical than allowing an infestation to grow and then spending vast amounts of money to repair the damage. There are different types of termites and infestations and only a professional termite removal service will be able to spot and remove all the termites from a house.